Inaugural Mavericks Awards
Niche awards profiling trailblazers in sustainable building—recognizing innovation; transformation; and ambassadorship.
About Our Maverick Awards
As we take another step to recognize leadership in sustainability, it’s only fitting that we recognize those who were with us from the beginning, including our founding member, Jayman BUILT. These builders, and the many who have come since, embrace change and progress. To us, they’re mavericks: the ones who see things differently and who were the early adopters of sustainable building, going back over 20 years: ahead of market demand, ahead of regulation, driving innovation—and an industry forward.
To these leaders, we pay homage in using their namesake for our inaugural awards program. Like them, we’re doing things differently. Our program offers three exclusive awards; develops assets for winners; and occurs primarily online.
The Maverick Awards are reflective of Built Green Canada’s key underpinnings of innovation, transformation, and ambassadorship.
- The Innovation Award recognizes creative ways sustainable building is happening and progressing industry; it’s in this spirit that Built Green Canada’s third-party certification programs were originally developed and continue to evolve.
- The Transformational Award recognizes the impact sustainability practices can have in driving real change—achievements which embody the organization’s mission.
- And the Ambassador Award recognizes those on the ground, encouraging and promoting sustainable building; this speaks to Built Green Canada’s origins in industry engagement and the value of word of mouth.
To celebrate our Mavericks and to elevate excellence in sustainable building, we will create assets for winners’ use, including professional short-form videos and feature articles, which we will share through our virtual communities, networks, campaigns, and communication vehicles. Promotional activity will be staggered to enable a longer media campaign, encouraging ongoing engagement—ultimately, expanding audience reach beyond the confines of an in-person event to publicly raise the profile of sustainable building and leadership behind it.
Our online format is based on the knowledge that much of our life and work happen online; when did you last check your social media? Through earned media and paid advertising, our finalists and winners will be recognized across a collection of platforms and browsers, as well as through our other communication vehicles, including the inaugural Maverick Awards Newsletter.
As part of our membership requirements, builders are required to be part of a professional association. Examples include CHBAs, UDIs, VRBA, construction, environmental, etc. Through their awards programs, these associations do great work to highlight industry achievement over comprehensive award categories—we recognize this important role filled by these valued industry associations, who provide wonderful in-person events.
Finalists will receive:
- 2023 Maverick Awards Finalist logo
- Inclusion in media campaign
- Social media profile
- Maverick Awards Newsletter inclusion
- First Quarter Newsletter inclusion
- Website profile: News; Maverick Awards section
Winners will receive:
- BUILT GREEN® Maverick trophy
- Development of assets for winner’s Marketing-Communications + our media campaign
- Professional short-form videos
- Individual feature article
- 2023 Maverick Winner logo
- Media campaign
- Social media campaign
- Paid campaign, primarily online + featured in Construction Canada
- News release announcing winners (+ individual feature articles)
- Maverick Awards Newsletter feature
- First Quarter Newsletter feature
- Website features – Homepage; News; new Maverick Awards section
- Reoccurring Profile – Built Green Canada is committed to ongoing profile throughout the year for winners, which may include features in separate campaigns, presentations, quarterly newsletters, marketing materials, webinars, socials, etc.
Media campaign for winners: socials + news release + Construction Canada feature
For an entry package, please email us at [email protected]
You may put forward your own nomination or nominate someone else.
- For projects to qualify, they must have been BUILT GREEN® certified from Jan. 1, 2022 - Dec. 31, 2023
- For individuals / companies to qualify, they must be involved in the process of BUILT GREEN®*
- Entries must be submitted in full between Oct. 24, 2023 - Feb. 15, 2024
*We recognize that leadership in the sustainable building sector comes from every layer of industry; therefore, nominations are open to numerous professionals working to progress green building and third-party certification. For example, BUILT GREEN® builders, verifiers, Energy Advisors, engineers, consultants, product and service suppliers, and more.
- Entry form
- Award nomination form (Innovation; Transformational; Ambassador)
- Photos – up to 10 for the purpose of judging. Large files can be included in entry via link to WeTransfer, Dropbox, etc.
- Legal form
- Awards fee – $195 + tax / nomination
Nominations are to be contained in one email and submitted in full to: [email protected]. This includes links to large files through WeTransfer, Dropbox, etc. Please note that submission documents will not be returned.
Each entry will be judged on its own merit, based solely on entry materials provided. Entries will be evaluated by a distinguished panel of highly qualified, independent judges within the industry, selected for their expertise in their field. An Accounting Firm chosen by Built Green Canada will monitor the judging process, separate from the organization.
- 0-100 point system, based on category questions + entry statement
- Built Green Canada reserves the right to not award a category, if submission is incomplete or does not meet criteria—or to disqualify entries at its discretion.
See full news release.
As a niche awards program with three exclusive winners each year, our promotional activity includes in-depth coverage of winners and their associated sponsors—our resources go towards spotlighting our Mavericks, and alongside them, our sponsors: those integral leaders who are supporting sustainable building.
Contact us to learn about the extensive sponsorship benefits.